RE: concave or convex? x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: concave or convex? x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 17:15:26 -0700
> I'm new to the list.

Hi Joe, welcome to the list !

> My question is with the TR3A.  In many of
> the pictures I've seen of TR3A's, the grille appears to be concave;
> Other pictures show it to be convex.  Which is the correct way?   If I
> didn't know better, I would say, that some people are installing it one
> way while others are installing it in the reverse.  Is this even
> possible.?  Am I missing  something obvious here?

Anything is possible as far as how people install them, but there is a
definite front and back to the grill.  There is a lip all around the grill
that has to face front, since the grill is secured to the body with screws
through that lip.  If the lip were behind the grill, there would be no way
to access the screws.

We've debated before whether the face of the grill should be flat or
concave.  New reproductions are supplied flat, but it's just soft aluminum
(or aluminium) so it's easy to bow it a little to make it fit.  My suspicion
is that even at the factory, the opening in the front apron varied slightly
in size from car to car, and the grill was distorted as necessary on
installation.  However, it may be that all the cars with bowed grills have a
similar history to mine, which was hit on the slope of the apron in a
parking lot, closing the opening slightly, and the body shop did not correct
the shape of the opening.  My grill bows in perhaps 1/2" at the center, in
order to fit in the opening.

And I suppose there's no reason it couldn't't bow out instead, but in is
easier, and IMO looks better.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver TS39781LO (sidelined for OD gearbox install)
63 Sports 6 rustoration project HB7826LCV
71 Stag daily driver Real Soon Now LE1473L