RE: Distributor Plate Ground Wire Source x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Distributor Plate Ground Wire Source x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 09:01:54 -0700
> Just a note of thanks for the help to all who responded to  this
> question. I realized after asking it that it was just a ground wire
> which one could easily make up in the shop. Here I was thinking it was
> special 25 strands of gold filled british horse hair!!

Bob, just to clarify, both the ground lead and the hot lead to the points
are forced to flex every time the vacuum advance/retard moves.  Ordinary
stranded wire is stiffer than the original wire (meaning the vacuum
advance/retard won't move as far), but more importantly it will not stand up
to constant flexing.  It will eventually work harden and break.  It does
take a long time to happen tho, so if you don't mind replacing the wire
every 5 years or so, have at it.  But the constant flexing is why Triumph
used "gold filled British horse hair" (which isn't a bad description of the
stuff <g>).

Randall