RE: Tr3a running motor questions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tr3a running motor questions
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 23:14:30 -0700 o m>
> Tonight I tried to run the engine for more than 30 seconds. No luck, if I
> give her a fair amount of choke then she will start and run
> strong. Let off
> the choke and she sometimes stalls, and if not, when I try to use the
> throttle, she stalls completely. Sometimes there is a puff from the carbs,
> maybe one in 8 times.
>
> I am thinking timing but can not keep her running long enough to test. I
> currently have her set up a couple of deg btdc, statically set
> when putting
> the distributor back in. Any ideas would be great, do I need a twist the
> distributor a hair clockwise or counterclockwise?

David :

Sounds more like carburetion problems to me (after all, that's what the
choke is changing).

The timing on the TRactor motor is normally set statically, the factory
value was 4 degrees BTDC.  However, the engine should run with it timed
late, although it might need a bit more throttle opening at idle.

My suggestions :

Set the timing "by the book", ie TDC static, then advance two marks with the
vernier.  Turn in the idle adjustments as much as necessary to keep the
engine running, and add a little choke if necessary.  Now start backing off
the mixture nuts and trying the "lift the piston test".  The engine speed
will increase as you get closer to the ideal mixture, so back off the idle
screws.  Keep moving back and forth until the idle speed and mixture are
right.

Unlike later engines, the TR3 idles 'fat', the idle mixture is set to "best
power".  If making it richer with the choke helps the problem, the problem
almost has to be mixture.  Of course, there may be other reasons for the
mixture being weak (vacuum leaks for instance), but adding choke will not
help with ignition problems.

Also double check the level of oil in the dashpots.

Randall