RE: missing gearshift parts

To: <Cromracker2@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: missing gearshift parts
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 11:21:32 -0700
>     Salutations to all of the Triumph listers! Having gotten the new toy
> home, I have embarked on a mission to change all the fluids so I
> can start
> with a fresh slate, so to speak. I managed to get the tunnel and
> everything
> else removed(what an ordeal) so I could change the transmission fluid

I suppose this is a bad time to mention you don't have to remove the tunnel
... <g>

> When I remoived the shifter
> mechanism, I discovered that the plunger and spring(items # 8 & # 9,
> Bentley's page 277) are missing. Can anyone tell me what function
> these items
> serve?

They take up any play between the lever and the shift rod ends.

> The shifter worked; although it was not as smooth as I would have
> liked. Are these parts optional?

Certainly not optional in the sense the factory ever left them out, but as
you've discovered, they frequently are missing, and the shifter will work
without them.  The knob may buzz at certain speeds ...

Randall