oil pump gasket

To: "INTERNET:PeterSchop@aol.com" <PeterSchop@aol.com>
Subject: oil pump gasket
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 14:38:37 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:PeterSchop@aol.com
>I took the sump off my TR4 last night to check the oil pump and crank
shaft
end gap. When I took the oil pump off, I noticed that there was no gasket
between the pump body and block. Looking in the Moss catalog, they show a
gasket there. Is this gasket necessary as it is not sealing anything but
just
keeping metal from metal? If it is necessary, can I just make one out of a
brown paper bag?
<

Peter,  This interface is subject to full oil pressure on one half of it
and the other half is subject to the pump suction.  If the pressure side
leaks it is of little concequences as the flow will be very small and the
leakage goes back into the sump.  On the suction side, however, a leak can
allow air to leak into the system.  This will tend to foam up the oil which
can affect how the oil gets distributed through the lub system.

These mating surfaces are machined pretty close to flat and bolting them up
will not leave any gaping holes so it is probably OK to leave the gasket
out.  You could try a very light application of non-hardening gaskte sealer
(like Hylomar HPF) at the very outer edge.  But if you feel like a gasket
is the way to go, I wouldn't advise on using a paper bag.  The fibers may
not be bonded together well enough and some may get loose and find their
way into places they shouldn't go (although the filter will most likely
pick them up).  But consider getting the proper gasket.  Without looking at
it we don't know what material they were using.

Dave