RE: steering problem Tr3

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: steering problem Tr3
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 08:54:40 -0700
> I do have a question. When taking my Tr3b for a tour, steering is
> quite normal
> for the first 1 o 1,5 hours. Then it gets difficult to operate.
> After 3 or 4
> hours one can steer only with large effort of force.
> any ideas anyone ?

Tired arms ?

Seriously, that's a tough one.  I'd be inclined to suspect the steering box,
as that the only place in the steering where there are tight clearances, but
even that seems unlikely to me.  Could be the idler arm, I suppose.

Best thing to do might be to put it up on jack stands right after a long run
(which of course is the last thing you want to do just then), crawl under
and see where it's stiff.  If you can get a helper to try to turn the wheels
while you watch the linkage, that would be even better.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver TS39781LO (sidelined for OD gearbox install)
63 Sports 6 rustoration project HB7826LCV
71 Stag daily driver Real Soon Now LE1473L