RE: wiring up an ammeter

To: Larry Stein <larry@ehc.org>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: wiring up an ammeter
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 08:52:13 -0700
Larry :

If you have a later TR6 with an original voltmeter, connecting an ammeter
becomes a bit more difficult.  I believe all cars with the voltmeter have a
terminal block built into the hot cable to the battery.  You'll need to
remove all the smaller wires from that terminal block, and join them
together somehow. (Perhaps you can remove the terminal block and replace the
cable from the battery to the starter.)  There will at times be substantial
current flowing through this new connection, so make it sturdy.
(Personally, I would lose the Lucar connectors and go with soldered-on ring
terminals and a bolt of some sort.  I believe some Fords had an insulated
bolt that mounted to the inner fender for this purpose, but I don't have a
reference.)

Then the ammeter goes between the joined wires and the hot terminal on the
starter solenoid (or the old terminal block if you wish).

Randall