Re: Port matching question

To: Darrell Walker <darrellw@inetarena.com>
Subject: Re: Port matching question
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 23:38:15 -0600
Cc: tr list list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Darrell Walker wrote:

> I was cleaning up the spare intake manifold that I intended to prepare for
> my car, and noticed that the opening for the front carb is about 1/8" too
> low (actually, I guess the holes for the mounting studs are really too
> high).  There is plenty of thickness grind out the bottom to match, but will
> having the top be too big be an issue?  Should I try to build up the top so
> that I can match that as well?  If so, what would hold up?
>
> I'm going to check the manifold that is on the car before I do any more
> work, and will use it if it is better.

In general (hmm, can I do this in ASCII?), it's better to have a larger
opening downstream than a smaller opening.

This is better:

Upstream    --> Downstream

     |--------

-----|

-----|

     |________

This is worse:

_________

         |_______

         |-------

If the existing manifold fits the carb better, use it, unless there's
some other reason not to (warpage causing leakage at the carb or the
ports, etc.).

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

The gulf between content and substance continues to widen....