Re: Ebay TR6 VIN number

To: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ebay TR6 VIN number
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 21:53:37 +0100 g47KwbO01385
From: John Macartney <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>

> I'm obliged to the people who have written to me off list stating
> their cars bear plates with dates on them. What I should have said in
> my earlier post - but didn't - is that to the best of my recollection
> up to the time I left BL in late 1972, no Triumphs left the factory
> with production dates stamped on their commission plates. This may
> well have changed in later years and was probably peculiar to the
> North American market.

Hi John & list,
    As you may know, I am currently researching and supplying accurate replicas
of commission plates for "our" cars. That's the plug over with, what my
research has shown is that dates of applicable standards were stamped on plates
for the North American market from (at least) January 1968. A common plate was
used on at least the TR250 an GT6, though there may have been other distinct
ypes. I have scans of at least 4 of these plates which are identical, with the
wording "This vehicle complies with all US Federal safety standards applicable
on " followed by the stamped date, in th case of the plate I'm viewing now,
"JAN 1-1968". There is a scanned copy of a similar plate on my website here:
http://freespace.virgin.net/w.davies/Products/CP_tr250.htm
The identifying numbers have been blanked from the scan. All of those I have
seen have dated from 1968 & 1969 - I don't know what happened for 1970 and
beyond.
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--