RE: Fuel gauge floats

To: Bob Greene <rgreene@whoi.edu>, triumphs@autox.team.net, 6 list <6pack-digest@autox.team.net>, nass@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: Fuel gauge floats
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 14:23:34 -0700
> I have a couple of fuel gauges (Some from a Spit, TR6 & a Gt6. All have
> a little fuel in the plastic floats. Does anyone carry replacement
> floats? If not, anyone had success sealing on old one? If so what did
> you use?

Bob, I haven't tried this on a plastic float, but I don't see why it
wouldn't work.  Get some "Hot Fuel Proof Dope" from a hobby supply store
(it's used on model airplanes).  Heat the float with a hair dryer (gently,
don't want to melt the plastic or explode the float due to internal
pressure) until all the trapped fuel boils off and escapes.  (Obviously this
should be in a well ventilated area.)  Wipe the surface down with lacquer
thinner or your favorite carb cleaner.  Now paint the entire float with the
dope.  Let dry and apply a second layer (instructions on the bottle ?) then
let that dry thoroughly.  The float should be good to go.

Randall