Re: New rebuild. Falling oil pressure, what's happening?

To: <Gbouff1@aol.com>
Subject: Re: New rebuild. Falling oil pressure, what's happening?
From: "David Brister" <david.brister@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 16:55:32 +0200
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
I would be 99% certain that this problem is that a tiny piece of debris from
the rebuild, perhaps a scrap of gsket seal, maybe a "bristle" from a wire
brush, something of that sort has lodged under the ball in the pressure
releif valve.

The cure is to unscrew the PRV from the housing above the oil filter using
the big locknut, try not to disturb the setting as it seems you have ity
exactly right (count the threads visible) then unscrew the other end, remove
the spring and ball and really really clean it all out.

When you piut the ball back before putting the spring in some people think
it a good idea to reseat the ball by giving it a light tap on it's seat with
a suitably sized drift.

I've done this quite often, sometimes by the roadside, perhaps I don't put
my engine together as clean as I might.

HTH

David Brister.
1967 TR4A.