Re: Engine flushing - off topic, a bit. cn.com>

To: CarlSereda@aol.com
Subject: Re: Engine flushing - off topic, a bit. cn.com>
From: corey.sherman@RCN.COM
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 10:29:30 -0400 22, 2002) at 05/06/2002 10:29:31 AM, Serialize complete at 05/06/2002 10:29:31 AM
Cc: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
The very same incident happened to me just yesterday!

I stopped by for a "quick oil change" and they displayed the blacken oil
from my 1999 Passat as though it was a cancerous tumor. "You should flush
the engine immediately"... for only $59.95. When I asked what does it do,
how could it clean the engine without destroying the seals or affecting
the lubrication... they pointed to a chart (I guess they didn't know, just
sell the service - that builds my confidence!).

I figure I could get three oil changes for the price of one engine flush.
I call a friend, who suggested I run, run fast!

I did find this explanation from http://www.autoprofit.com/demo.html
appropriately named "Automotive Profit Centers. Their FAQ and media demo was
entertaining.

How does the machine work?
After the oil is drained, adapters connect the machine to the car through
the filter housing and the drain plug port. A heated detergent solution is
then pumped under 42 pounds of pulsating pressure through the oil
reservoir, passages, oil pump, and up into the valve train. It back
flushes the oil pump and pickup screen of the engine. The solution breaks
up and dissolves sludge throughout the engine and is then vacuum extracted
out of the engine, removing the sludge and debris. The oil lubricating
system of the engine is now clean and can function as originally designed.
This process takes approximately 10 minutes

If you change the oil regularly, why do you need the service?
Through its normal operation, an engine accumulates abrasive particulates
that increase internal engine friction and wear. The oil filter is there
to remove these particulates, but with 30w oil used in the engine, the
filter is unable to filter fine enough to remove all of these impurities.
The longer a customer goes between oil changes, the less effective the oil
filter becomes. The result of these particulates, along with other
byproducts of gasoline combustion, is sludge. This sludge and debris will
gradually build up throughout the oil passageways of the engine, including
the oil pump and pickup screen. During a normal oil change, an average of
1/2 quart of 'sludge' - highly contaminated oil - remains in the engine.
When the new clear oil is added, it is immediately mixed with this highly
contaminated oil. The result is oil that is already ladened with wear
accelerating particulates. This condition is readily visible in most
engines almost immediately after the oil change, when the dipstick is
removed and the oil is visibly 'dirty.' Until the development of the
Engine Flush System, there was no way to remove this sludge without taking
the engine apart.