Spitfire starter

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire starter
From: danvon <danvon@scripps.edu>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 17:22:54 -0700
Hi all.

First, thanks for all the advice in the past (lites, carb, etc.)   it seems
like
someone out there really does know everything.  this time I seem to have
a dying/dead starter on my Spit (1976).  When you walk up to the car cold
and turn the key, it turns over a few times and then gradually grinds to a
halt as if the battery were dead.  Battery is not dead, and there is plenty of
power getting through as far as i can tell.  Also tried shorting the starter
solenoid to bypass it in case the solenoid is the trouble-sparks but the
motor doesn't turn over.

I thought that the starter might be jamming against the ring gear so turned
the bolt on the end with a wrench and it not only turned freely but has what
seems like a lot of play in it (several mm of movement side-to-side, as if
the bearings are shot).

I replaced the starter (new Lucas unit from BPN) in October, and haven't
driven the car much since then (it worked great until a week or so ago).

So-is this a known way for the starter to fail?  I am assuming that there
shouldn't be much play in the motor shaft. Also, could i have done
something when installing the new one that caused this-maybe some
kind of mis-alignment?   as far as i could tell at the time, it went in
exactly
like the old one.  Finally, if i need to replace this again, any opinions on
what to use (is the Lucas unit the one to get, or is there a ougher one out
there?).

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dan