RE: : Misc Q's & TR4 Cooling

To: <michaelgajic@hotmail.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: : Misc Q's & TR4 Cooling
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 13:12:08 -0700
CarlSereda@aol.com wrote :

> Someone from our list (might have been
> Randall) sent
> notes to Moss and The Roadster Factory to carry this Jaguar item since it
> essentially worked the same for our TR4s (and I guess TR3s?).

Nope, wasn't me.  However Peter Arakelian lurks here from time to time, he
may have mentioned it at work (Moss).  The later TR2 and all TR3/A/B take
the same thermostat.  The thermostat housing casting changed very slightly
at one point, but they interchange completely.

I haven't tried the stat from XKs Unlimited
http://www.xks.com/
but I have done some experiments both with a NOS Smith's sleeved thermostat,
and with various bypass plugs; both when I was having trouble with
overheating and when I wasn't.  I can't tell that it makes any difference
whatsoever (except having the bypass blocked completely, which is a bad
idea).

How much heat is removed from the coolant by the radiator is purely a
function of coolant temperature inside the radiator, and the temperature and
amount of air flowing through.  How fast the coolant flows through the
radiator does not enter into the equation, except as it affects the
temperature of coolant inside the radiator.  However, the actual water
temperature drop across the radiator is very small, so a moderate reduction
in water flow rate through the radiator has very little effect on outlet
temp and hence on heat transfer.

Or, to put it another way, the loss of cooling due to some of the coolant
flowing through the bypass (and not being cooled), is almost exactly matched
by the water that does flow through the radiator staying there longer, and
hence loosing more heat.  When the two flows are mixed back together in the
water pump, the result is the same.

YMMV
Randall