Re: : Misc Q's & TR4 Cooling

To: michaelgajic@hotmail.com, CarlSereda@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: : Misc Q's & TR4 Cooling
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 15:42:05 EDT
Michael,
I believe a Los Angeles Calif. based company called XKE's Unlimited first
developed this sleaved thermostat for older Jags by taking an existing off
the shelf 70C 'Robert Shaw' brand all brass thermostat that looks like the
old Stant type (wax pellet - not bellows) and had a custom sleave spun and
die-cut out of thick brass and 'silver-soldered' to the Shaw stat (high
quality and precise work - hard to 'make-it-yourself'). Sells for about $35.
The sleave works well inside the TR4 housing even though the sleave 'action'
(direction of opening and closing) is in reverse. I tried both a NOS Smith's
sleaved/bellows type stat and this new Robert Shaw sleaved stat inside my TR4
thermostat housing on my kitchen stove in a pot of water - they seem almost
identical in end results. When the stats open both block off the 'by pass' as
originally intended.  Someone from our list (might have been Randall) sent
notes to Moss and The Roadster Factory to carry this Jaguar item since it
essentially worked the same for our TR4s (and I guess TR3s?). After a year or
so Moss started carrying it.
I don't know where else it might be sold. It only comes in 70C which
according to the TR4 Factory Workshop Manual is exactly when you want it to
open.
I have not been able to test either my NOS Smiths or this new Robert Shaw
stat in my dimantled car to see if there any differences - can't wait for the
day..
Regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74