Engine flushing - off topic, a bit.

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine flushing - off topic, a bit.
From: "Kinderlehrer" <Kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 12:34:01 -0700
Sorry for this non-Triumph, directly anyway, query, but, as proven over and
over, this is THE arbiteur of all things, automotive and otherwise.

My wife called from JiffyLube, said they told her that her engine needed
flushing because the oil was black/dirty.  The car is an '98 Chrysler
Sebring Convertible (V6) with 40,000 miles.  Oil has been changed every
3,000 miles since new.  I remember some discussion on this list about engine
flushes, but is there any reason at all to flush an engine that has been
maintained regularly and driven mostly on the highway for periods of 20
minutes or more?

I told her that all they really wanted to flush was our bank account and
that if the engine really needed flushing, its because they really weren't
changing the oil when they said they did.

 When she questioned the service, they told her that their oil containers
recommend periodic engine flushing - my guess is it comes under the heading
"Improving Profits".

Am I wrong? Should I have the engine flushed?

Thanks,
Bob