RE: Head Light grounding - tr6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Head Light grounding - tr6
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 14:06:44 -0700
> Anyone have any ideas where to get a good ground connection; also need to
> ground for ac condenser fan.

Alan :

It sounds to me like your body/frame is not well connected to the battery
negative.  I believe on a 76 TR6, the negative cable comes off the battery
and has a tab that is bolted to the firewall, then the end of the cable goes
to a bolt on the engine.  I would undo both of those connections, and be
sure there is no corrosion or paint between the wire terminal and the body.
Also examine the wire itself carefully, sometimes battery acid can work it's
way underneath the insulation and corrode the wire.

If that fails, I think you could add a fairly subtle ground lead across one
of the motor mounts (from one of the frame side bolts to one of the engine
side bolts) the way the earlier cars did.  Another alternative would be one
from an engine side bolt or even a timing cover bolt, to the bolt on the
steering rack.

Randall