TR6 Rear Suspension Noises

To: "'neb@psychology.nottingham.ac.uk'" <neb@psychology.nottingham.ac.uk>, "'ian.viles@ntlworld.com'" <ian.viles@ntlworld.com>, "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Rear Suspension Noises
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 10:50:03 -0600
Nick,

It's hard to pinpoint exactly the problem from your description, but I
would check all ujoints and I would check the rear wheel bearings.  Jack
up the rear grab one of the wheels at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock and
alternately push with one hand and pull with the other.  Repeat at 12
o'clock and 6 o'clock positions.  If you feel any major play, you've got
a wheel bearing problem.  If both wheels check out ok, get under the
vehicle and inspect the u-joints.  Try to keep one of the wheels steady
while trying to rotate the half-shaft back and forth.  If you observe
any play at the u-joint, then it should be replaced.  You can also try
holding the differential flange while rotating the half-shaft.  That
should tell you how the inner u-joint is doing.  It's up to you whether
or not to replace just the affected u-joints, although I would consider
at least replacing both of the u-joints on a particular shaft if I found
one of them bad.

Another noise that tends to get lower with less applied load is the rear
differential, but unless this thing is out of oil I'm not sure you would
hear a metallic sound.  But if you dont find a problem with wheel
bearings or u-joints, then I'd start looking here.

John Lumia - 1976 TR6