RE: Misc Q's

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Misc Q's
From: Doug Hamilton <douglasehamilton@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 09:10:19 -0600
>- -In talking about cooling, he mentions an aluminum radiator (apparent
>available in England), and says you should fit one before giving "any
>thought to fitting an aluminum cylinder head".  He doesn't explain why, I'm
>not sure if it is in context of cooling (recommending that you spend the $$
>on the aluminum radiation first) or if he means you need the aluminum
>radiator is you are using the aluminum head.  Since I have an aluminum head
>on order, I'm curious.  Is there some incompatibility with the stock
>radiator and an aluminum head?

The only thought I have on the radiator up grade to an aluminum one
before installing the aluminum head is when you are running an aluminum
head on an iron block it becomes even more important to keep coolant
temperatures in their ideal range if you want your head gaskets to hold
up the same as they would with an iron head. Make sure to check if the
head manufacturer has a recommended head gasket and if they don't find
the best quality gasket you can find some will not last all that long
with the aluminum head iron block combo. I've been lead to believe a
teflon coated composition gasket with o-ring seals in it is the best
choice for this combo others may have differing opinions. Distilled
water and an aluminum compatible coolant are a very important part in
maintaining your aluminum head electrolysis will eat your head very
quickly if the wrong coolants are used.

Doug Hamilton
1960 Truimph TR3A
1963 Fiat Cabriolet ( aluminum head iron block rebuilt 02/2002 )