Re: Soft TR4 brakes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Soft TR4 brakes
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 02:38:52 EDT
Geo,
..I think it might be your restrictor valve (keeps system pressurized)
leaking over time - may just need a good cleaning?
..and I would make sure your rear brakes are adjusted to minimize travel.
Carl -'63 TR4
______________________
Subject: TR4 Brakes - 2 Questions

When the TR4 sits overnight the first push of the brake pedal is very
soft.  Not all the way to the floor but definitely a long stroke.  The
second push and all there after are short and firm.

This would seem to be a problem -- but where & what?  I can live with it
(once I got past the first heart-stopping encounter) but would rather
fix it.

I suppose brake fluid contracts as it cools down from hot use though
this softness doesn't happen on my other cars -- however the '4 is the
only one I have with silicone fluid.

A possibly unrelated question.  I went with Spa White on the disc wheels
and mercy me does that ever show the brake dust.  Maybe it is no more
than on the 3's silver wheels or wires but it sure shows up on white
rims.  Pads are of unknown composition.  Are there some pads that are
especially dusty?  Are there brake problems that would produce excessive
dust with no other symptoms?
Thanks for any info.
Geo Hahn
64 TR4