Some questions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Some questions
From: "Mark Vaden" <markv@solworks.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 23:11:04 -0700
Hi,
I recently decided that I want to resurrect my TR4. I purchased it in '87
and drove it until '94. It ran pretty well in '94, but I was convinced to
stop driving it. Back then I was right out of college, and had my first job
but limited funds. My TR seemed to leak something under the dash and it was
ruining my new work pants. I came up with a reasonable solution - I would
set my pants on the passenger seat, and let the car leak on my bare shin. I
kept a rag to wipe the grease off my legs, and put my pants on once I
arrived at work. As most of you know, the cockpit is not that big, so I
would usually find a corner and quickly put my pants on with the door open
turned sideways in the car. After my boss found me in the parking lot
fumbling with my pants (VERY EMBARRASSING) he convinced me to buy a more
reliable car. I have driven a couple of cars since then, and although they
are more reliable, I miss driving the TR. I now have a job that has a casual
dress code (I can wear shorts - no more dripping on pants :) ), so I thought
I would like to start driving it again.  The TR has not been driven since
94, and even though I certainly spent many hours working on this car I am
not much of a mechanic (particularly in comparison to people on this list!).
I would like to get it to run (mostly for a triumphant ride around the
block), but ultimately I plan to have someone else do the restoration work.
My questions are:

1) What steps should I take before trying to get the car to start? Do I need
to add oil to the cylinders? Do I need to rebuild the carbs?
2) As a teenager, I put weber carbs on my tr4. Are these any more or less
reliable than the SU carbs? I still have the Sus, would it be better to put
these back on?
3) Does anyone recommend someone in the Sacramento area to do a frame off
restoration? If I am having someone do this restoration is it even
worthwhile for me to try and get it running? Of course I am eager to get it
running myself so that I can take it for a spin!
4) Am I crazy to think that I could use this as a daily driver?

Thanks in advance.

Mark Vaden
62 TR4 CT8809L