Re: Upholstery

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Upholstery
From: corey.sherman@RCN.COM
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 10:16:39 -0500 2001) at 10/28/2001 10:16:43 AM, Serialize complete at 10/28/2001 10:16:43 AM
I, too, decided to take on re-upholstering my seat... and what a job it
is. A matter of fact, some pro shops won't take on TR6 seats since they
are so time consuming and have so many parts.

I purchased a kit from TRF for $300, and new foam for another $200. Then,
miscellaneous supplies and materials for another $25. After stripping both
seats to bare metal, sanding, prep and painting... then sizing, fitting,
cutting, and rebuilding them, oh some 20 hours later, they look "super".

But considering a local shop, experienced with these seats, informed me
they would have done the whole thing for $500 complete, I would have them
do it instead. I had some fun, gained a few more grey hairs, and learned a
lot.

So, the options are:

DIY, for around $500 if you have the spare time and "patience";
Pay a Pro, for about the same;
Replace with Miata seats
(check out  http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/index.html  and
http://www.totallytriumph.net/spitfire/spitfire.shtml)