Re: Transmission/ Differential Oil

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: Transmission/ Differential Oil
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 14:08:06 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>, "Erik Quackenbush" <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Message text written by "Phil Ethier"
>As I recall, MG Midget gearboxes use 30e-wt NON-detergent motor oil
because
the additives fight with the synchros.  Dunno if that is because they are
bronze or because they are coated somehow.  I bought the stuff at
SuperAmerica by the quart.  I had no problems with it.
<

Phil,
The original specification on the TR3 Gearbox was also 30w non-detergent
oil.  They only later switched to 90w GL4.  Big Healey's also use 30w
non-detergent oil. I currently use 30w non-detergent but I haven't put on
enough miles to comment about the long term.

The theory behind using non-detergent oil in the gearbox is that you want
the dirt to precipitate out and collect on the bottom of the casing.  There
is no filter to catch the suspended particles, after all.  Then, when the
oil is drained the contaminents will drain out.

Dave