Re: TR Hunting

To: LeRoy Price <lep@epix.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR Hunting
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 12:22:15 -0500
At 12:31 -0400 10/17/01, LeRoy Price wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Just joined the list and reading a few messages.  I'm thinking about
>getting a Triumph not sure which but do like the looks of the TR4
>and 4A.  Anyway, I'm investigating things I may need to know prior
>to purchasing one of these
>classics.  As a result, I found this list and had hoped some owners
>would have some input that may help.  I was thinking that I could
>get a nice drivable TR4 for 5 or 6 thousand but that might not be
>the case (work on it as I go).
>
>LeRoy

LeRoy --

Welcome to the list!  I hope you find a TR4/4A/250, and love it!
You're sure to find lots of help, friendship, and commiseration here
... great folks.

I think you ought to be able to find a nice car in your price range -
you may be pleasantly surprised.  Any car you buy to drive will need
more maintenance than a modern car, which you cancombine with a
rolling mechanical restoration if need be.  Wheel bearings one
weekend, suspension rebuild next month, etc.

A few tips which I hope you'll find helpful:

The VTR (Vintage Triumph Register) web site (http://www.vtr.org)has a
classifieds section, which you'll find at:
http://209.150.107.10/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi
You may find something that catches your eye there.

Now is probably the wrong time of year to find a TR in the newspaper
classifieds in many parts of North America and indeed the northern
hemisphere, but you may get lucky - there are some listed even here
in Iowa from time to time!

Most people's advice would be not to buy the first car you find, but
I must confess that - while I agree with that thought - both my cars
were the first ones (indeed the only ones) I looked at.  My TR3
especially was as good as bought the minute I was told it was up for
sale...

Something you may find helpful is a list of TR shoppers on my Web
site - people who have volunteered to inspect cars locally on behalf
of others who may be shopping from a distance:
http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/shoppers.html

Good luck in your search - and, again, welcome to the list!

Dan

>"if women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you
>handy." - Red Green

And what better way to demonstrate handiness than by owning a TR?!
--
Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1957 TR3, TS15098L 'O' - with a nice shiny rear axle assembly going
together on my workbench!

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U 'O' - in storage.

Visit the Team.Net Triumph list member pages at:
http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/index.html
Photos, downloads, member bios, and more!