Car Buying Ettiquette

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "6-Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Car Buying Ettiquette
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 20:11:07 -0400
Today I had one of the most maddening experiences I've ever had while owning
a British car.  And it had to do with someone who was interested in
purchasing my TR6.

In my original email to the TR and 6Pack lists, I made it very clear I would
not be home until late Tuesday night of this week.  Fine.  I also posted my
cellular telephone number, and that along with email, is the most reliable
method of contacting me as I have access to either most of the time.

Well today, a person, contacted my home telephone number four times within
90 minutes finally getting a hold of another family member the last time.
Within another 90 minutes of that last telephone call, he showed up at my
house to look at my TR6.  Why is this so bad?

I personally was never contacted, NO effort was made to call my cellular
phone (which is the same area code he was calling from, so it was not a toll
call).  He managed to get a hold of one of my younger siblings, who still
happens to be in HS and was not aware of the car for sale.  This person
somehow managed to obtain my home address, and within two hours of his last
telephone call was at my home to view the car.  Again, still with no contact
with me!

I did have a voicemail from my brother at 2:20PM saying that this person had
kept calling, but no indication that he was going to stop by to look over my
TR6.  At around 4PM he came by, at which time my much younger brother had to
go to work... I feel this person took advantage of me and my family.  I had
made it clear I can be contacted via my cell phone or by email, and that if
I don't have access to my email at a given moment my cell phone is most
certainly on!  Then somehow he obtained my home address, and stopped by
still unbeknownst to me!

You should NEVER EVER attempt to purchase a car or look at a car with out
direct contact with the person who owns the bloody car!  Especially, not
after you've only talked with children... who know nothing about the
vehicle, are young enough to still be minors, and who don't own the damn
thing.

Anyway, just please be considerate of people and their families.  And try to
make contact with the seller directly.

On the other hand, I must note that I've had a very satisfactory experience
with James Maddox who purchased my supercharger kit.  It will be going off
to him shortly.  He was polite and prompt.  Bravo.

Kai