new clutch - assembly questions

To: triumphs-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: new clutch - assembly questions
From: "Rob Blubaugh" <blubaugh@rcsc.k12.in.us>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 16:37:02 -0500
Hi listers!

The assembly of my TR2 engine is complete (finally) and I have installed
the flywheel, clutch and the transmission.  Clutch parts are all new and
transmission was professionally rebuilt in Connecticut.

Although I aligned the clutch plate with the alignment tool, it was a
very difficult job to fit the transmission to the engine.  I work with
no assistance, so eventually I had to tilt the engine on end (vertical -
supported on wood blocks at the engine mounts) and then bring the
transmission down into place.  With help from gravity eventually
everything slipped into place and aligned properly.

Here is my question:  How tight should the new clutch assembly be?  I
tried to move the clutch linkage and it moved easily until the throw-out
bearing engaged the paddles that release spring tension holding the
clutch disk.to the flywheel.  With my hands, I could not get any further
movement through the linkage.  Does the hydraulic clutch actuation
really give that much mechanical advantage?  I tried "light " leverage
with a pipe wrench on the linkage and there seemed to be some give, but
I was afraid to torque the linkage too hard.  Shouldn't the clutch
disengage rather easily?  I think I have something wrong here and I
should disassemble again before I rent the hoist to put the engine and
the transmission back in the car. Prior to assembly, I did try to fit
the clutch disk over the spline shaft of the transmission.  It was a
difficult and tight fit.  I thought it was probably due to "new" parts
and that things would "wear in" quickly after final assembly.

On another matter that may be related, I had one devil of a time trying
to fit the new brass bushing into the end of the crankshaft.  I had to
sand it down a bit and then it took a gentle tap with the hard rubber
hammer to move it full in. (The old one fit easily but appeared to have
some gouges or nicks in it.) I should have checked if the inside hole of
the new bushing went easily onto the end of the main shaft on the
transmission, but I did not.

Any help, support and or encouragement from the "been there / done that"
crowd would be appreciated.  My frustration level is getting rather
high.  This IS supposed to be part of the joy of Triumph ownership?!?  I
need a reminder!

Rob Blubaugh,
Rensselaer, Indiana
Home to TS7690 with extensively overhauled engine #TS15848 and a rebuilt
transmission - awaiting its first drive since January -