tr6 electric fan conversion

To: "TR List (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: tr6 electric fan conversion
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 12:51:17 -0600
Listers,

A while ago I converted my TR6 from the mechanical fan to an electric one. I
also installed an indicator light to illuminate whenever the fan is on. I
used the wiring diagram in Dan Masters book as a guide. The light and fan
are powered by a common terminal from the relay which is switched on by
either a thermostatic switch or a manual switch. The fan is a pusher, so
it's mounted on the front of the radiator. All works fine as far as cooling
when required. However I've noticed one interesting phenomenon. The
indicator light glows dimly when ever I get up to certain speed. Doesn't'
matter which gear I'm in, as long as I'm going a certain speed, the light
glows. The faster I go the brighter it glows. Not as bright as when the fan
is actually turned on, but bright enough to be noticeable. My assumption is
that at a certain speed, the fan turns from the force of the air moving past
it and acts as a "generator" which in turn makes the light glow. Does this
seem right? If not what else could it be? If it is my theory, is this normal
behavior for pusher fans? Is it causing any harm?

Thanks for any insights.

Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO