Re: Removing TR6 Headrests??

To: Eric Conrad <conrade@qwest.net>
Subject: Re: Removing TR6 Headrests??
From: bob <rmf3860@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 09:37:37 -0400
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "6pack@Autox. Team. Net" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Eric:

You don't have to remove the upholstery and yes, they come out. You have
to depress the spring loaded "tooth" that protrudes from the support
post which is designed to prevent the headrest and post from just
sliding out.

I'll try to explain, but it's difficult without waving my arms and
fingers all over the place.
Run your hand along the backside of the seat so as to actually feel the
support post behind the upholstery. Start at the top and try to feel
along the sides of the post for a protruding barb or tooth.  It's down
about six or seven inches. Squeeze that in and the headrest post will
slide right out.  If you have to use pliers or a screwdriver, put a rag
between the tool and the upholstery.

The explanation is more difficult than actually doing it. Once you find
the barb, it will all make sense. Once it's out, use a little oil to
keep the spring steel easier to depress next time. Actually, once you
see it, you'll figure out how to lock in place so you won't have to go
through this every time you want to remove the headrest.

If your headrests are collapsing from the foam falling apart, they can
be restuffed with solid foam purchased from a fabric store. I'll give
you more details on this project if you're interested, but I didn't want
to exceed the scope of your question.

Good luck.

Bob Fabie
Fredericksburg, Va