re: Rear Brakes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Rear Brakes
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 20:11:27 EDT
Robert,
This may be a long shot but the age of your car and the fact it didn't do it
the first ten years leads me to think your shoe footings might have something
to do with warping (the shoes should hit the drum squarely - when the
footings wear badly it can be 'off' by quite a bit. The shoes are held
against machined footings under pressure by springs and footings can wear
down - especially if you think keeping them sparkling clean and un-lubricated
is a good idea like I did! (footings require high-temp brake grease). My TR4
footings wore down so much it made it hard to adjust shoes to tolerances set
by the factory. Wondering what your brake shoes footings look like.. in the
olden days they made adjustable screw footings that could be ..adjusted for
wear! For our cars seems the most practical fix is looking for low mileage
(under 50,000) rear backing plates.

Carl
'63 TR4 since '74 ..  with 'new-used' TR4 rear brake backing plates    -
thanks Joe

>>From: "Dobrowski, Robert S" <Robert.Dobrowski@JSF.Boeing.com>
Subject: Rear Brakes

For the last few years, I have had a problem with the rear brakes on my TR6.
The rear drums keep warping (getting out of round).
I've had the old drums turned and the problem reapperared after a few
months.
I've bought new drums only to have them warp too.
This is the only car I have ever had a problem with out of round drums.
It wasn't a problem for the first 10 years I owned the car.
Anyone have any idea what is happening and how I can fix it?>>