Re: Question for seller -- Item #593416138

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Question for seller -- Item #593416138
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 20:53:04 +0100
Message text written by Michael Hart via Dave Massey
> Hi all, Saw a "J " Type OD on Ebay from a seller who apparently
imports
them from the UK. I emailed him inquiring if he ever dealt in " A "
types
for TR4's. Here is his reply. Has anyone done this ? Is it feasible.
TIA,
Mike
  Robert Bennett <Bennett.Robert@Worldnet.att.net> wrote: I don't mess
around with A types anymore or D types beause they are just too
hard to fix. They run at much higher pressure than the later J types,
which
is why Laycock went to the J type, and the J types are more reliable,
and
more easily serviced.

With due respect to Mr Bennett, I think I'd take what he says with a
pinch of salt. The truth is that there are plenty of A and D type
overdrives in the UK from where he claims to import them - but it's
more a question of availability than reliability. Granted, the 'A'
type is now long in the tooth but many people with cars using that
version are hoarding additional units for 'just in case purposes.' and
I'm no exception. I always remember the A type as being particularly
long-lived and reliable anyway - and I don't think it's a question of
being lucky. CG's O/D is the original one and apart from cleaning the
filter screen, it works just as well as ever - so far <g> None of the
'A' type owners I know feel there is all that much to be gained for
going for the later unit and we're quite happy to continue using the
old version as long as there is one for back-up under the bench.

Jonmac
MG 4305 DLO 1970 2.5PI
"Fools rush in - and grab all the best seats"