Oil additives

To: "TRIUMPH TR6 (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil additives
From: Ed Quinn <equinn@airtreatment.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 09:01:49 -0700
Listers,
Built into a recent thread was a note about slick 50.  I have noticed in one
of my other foreign vehicles that the oil seems to be disappearing.  Three
weeks ago added two quarts, now needs 1 more.  (96 eclipse spyder w/65K
miles, 4cyl).  No leaks anywhere, you could fry an egg and eat it off the
bottom of the engine (if the car was upside down of course).  So the obvious
is that the engine is somehow digesting the oil, possible ring or valve job
I guess.  Do any of these oil additives do any good?  I have seen some
infomercials regarding Prolong et al, but am skeptical at best.  Any
thoughts.....OK clarify...any thoughts other than rebuild rebuild rebuild.
If there is anything that people have tried that works even temporarily I
might try, just to hold over till winter.
Regards
Ed