shifting without a clutch

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: shifting without a clutch
From: Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 16:21:41 -0500 21, 2001) at 07/20/2001 04:21:50 PM, Serialize complete at 07/20/2001 04:21:50 PM, Itemize by SMTP Server on SMTPMTA4/i2Tech(Release 5.0.5 |September 22, 2000) at 07/20/2001 04:32:26 PM, Serialize by Router on SMTPMTA4/i2Tech(Release 5.0.5 |September 22, 2000) at 07/20/2001 04:32:29 PM, Serialize complete at 07/20/2001 04:32:29 PM
Art,

I had a clutch hydraulic failure in my TR6 one afternoon during rush hour
when I was in Dallas and 35 miles from home.  I, too, was able to shift
without the benefit of the clutch as long as I had some forward momentum
(and having overdrive really helped!).  However, I had a serious problem
at stoplights and other places where I had to come to a complete stop.  My
solution was to turn the motor off and put it in 1st gear with the engine
off.  As soon as the light turned green, I started the engine (thank
goodness my TR6 starts on the first beat) with it in 1st gear and with
just a little lurch, was able to get moving from a stop.  I have always
been curious if there was a better way to start out from a dead stop
without the benefit of a clutch.  Anyone?