Re: Look out, he's thinking again! http://netwinsite.com/top_mail.htm

To: Bill Pugh <anabil@caltel.com>, Raymond Hatfield <iron_horse819@yahoo.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Look out, he's thinking again! http://netwinsite.com/top_mail.htm
From: "Phil Ethier"<pethier@isd.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 17:43:31 GMT
>Don't know about TRs, but the Honda 600 Coupe I had

I have only driven the roadsters.  Lotsa revs.  Roller-bearings in the engine.
 No oil pressure gauge, because there is no oil pressure.

Was your car the tiny "Honda Z", or did that come later?  Your car was RWD,
I am not sure if the Honda Z was a front-drive car, a variant of the 600 sedan
known to some as the "Japanese Mini".

>used 4 Mikuni
>(siq) Carbs on a beautiful twin cam all aluminum, roller bearing
>engine that happily turned 8000 rpm.  Of course this was still only
>80 mph in fourth, but it was a real fun car, had independent rear
>swing axles that were chain driven!!

No.  Not swing axles.  They are full trailing arms.  Swing axles move in an
arc coplanar with a section of the car as in a Spitfire.  Trailing arms move
in an arc coplanar with a profile of the car, as in some VW water-pumpers.
In the Honda RWD minicars, the chain runs on the arm.  Very motorcycle-like.
 Makes a ton of noise.  A jacket on the rear shelf helps.

>At the local Hawaii autocrosses
>it was a Spridget killer  :-)

Nice that you got it to handle well enough for that.  BMC was afraid that the
acceleration of the 600 roadster was going to cost them a lot of Spridget sales.
 Then they drove the stock Honda 600 and decided the handling was inferior
enough
that they need not worry.  Perhaps they are right.  BMC built over a million
Spridgets and few people have ever seen the Honda cars.

Phil Ethier