Re: Spin oil adaptor for a TR3a

Subject: Re: Spin oil adaptor for a TR3a
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 20:14:45 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
David :

Slick 50 was the subject of several lawsuits, none of them very
flattering.

Reputedly, the teflon particles used are too big, and can clog the oil
filter element.  The bypass valve opens, and your engine winds up
running on unfiltered oil.  I believe there were several lawsuits for
damages, but I don't know the results.  Dupont did not want their Teflon
trademark sullied by the reputation of ruining engines, so they tried to
first refuse to sell to Slick 50, and then to not allow Slick 50 to use
the trademark.  Dupont lost the lawsuit, for reasons I don't quite
understand.  (Apparently you can't refuse to sell to someone, just
because they are using it to make a fraudulent product.)

Also, the FTC went after Slick 50 for making unsubstantiated claims
about their products.  I believe they came to a settlement, which is why
you never see Slick 50 infomercials anymore.  The FTC's position was
apparently that almost every claim about Slick 50 was false, or at
least, not provably true.

Of course, YMMV
Randall