Re: TR6 headlight replacement - long with extra info/spec

Subject: Re: TR6 headlight replacement - long with extra info/spec
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 07:17:42 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Ptegler wrote:

> 55W / 13.5V = 4.07 amps of current
> 80w / 13.5 = 5.9 amps.   etc etc

Actually, I think you'll find that the wattages are rated at 12v, to
account for the voltage drops through the wiring, switches, etc.  Not
that it makes a lot of difference here :
55W / 12v = 4.6 amps
80W / 12v = 6.6 amps

But if your wiring system will deliver a higher voltage, you can also
expect slightly higher current draw.  The bulbs are non-linear tho, so
it doesn't go up as much as Ohm's law would predict.

> As for safety.... yes, relays are a good idea.

The other reason they're a good idea is that, unlike ordinary
incandescent bulbs, halogen bulbs do not 'like' low voltage, it will
shorten their life.

But, I would still recommend halogen bulbs, even if you're not willing
to add a relay.  They will not harm your wiring, and even the shortened
life is probably still longer than ordinary bulbs.  The increase in
light is amazing.

Randall
59 TR3A - halogen headlights since 1984
65 Sports 6 - well, lets get it running first <g>