Re: TR4A ride height

To: tr list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4A ride height
From: Darrell Walker <darrellw@inetarena.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 18:28:27 -0700
Thanks for the replies.  Some information I should have included
originally:

        -My car has IRS
        -There are not any spacers installed on the front springs

The consenus is that my car is from 1 to 2 inches too high, both
front and rear.  Cutting the springs would work, but make the
very still springs even stiffer (as it is, I can only bounce it
less than a inch, and I'm no light weight).  Considering that
the ends would then need to be reflattened, and that new stock
springs are only around $25 each, that seems like the best path
forward.

On a related note, I'm sure that the original rear lever shocks
need of replacement as well.  (I'm guessing they are original
because I have not changed them in the 20 years I've owned the car,
and from the condition the car was in when I got it I'm pretty sure
no one else has either).  When they were last off the car (10 years
but not so many miles ago) they had oil and seemed to move smoothly,
but I didn't have any reference for how much resistance they should
provide.  I notice that TRF now sells a tube kit for 4A-6s (Moss
has had one forever, but only lists it for 6s, even though I believe
the cars are identical in that area).  Does anyone have any experience
with either kit?  The price is reasonably close to a set of new
lever shocks.