RE: TR7

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR7
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:46:49 -0700
Susie :

A word of explanation : the engine in question is a V8 with aluminum heads
and block, which was originally designed by GM back in the early 60's and
used as an optional engine in Buicks, Olds, and Pontiacs for only a few
years around 1965.  I believe it's displacement was 215 ci.  Later in the
60's, they sold the design to Leyland, who started to offer it in several
cars (eg the TR8 and MGB-V8), and in the Land Rover.  It has undergone
several upgrades over the years, which I believe includes being sold in 3.5,
3.9, 4.0, 4.2, and 4.6 liter versions.  AFAIK, the 4.6 variant is still
available today in the Land Rover (as an option), but I don't know about the
Rover cars.

Where you live will probably have some impact on your decision, I believe
the smog laws in the US require that if you do an engine swap, you keep all
the emission controls of either the car or the engine, whichever is newer.
So for instance, if your TR7 has a smog pump, you would have to fit a smog
pump to the Buick engine, which may be a pain (Buick never did so).  Finding
a Rover engine of about the same age as your car may be easiest in this
regard, since it's likely to have the same emission controls and you can
mix/match with those on the car.  Using a much newer engine presents it's
own set of problems, like switching to fuel injection.

I believe several people sell kits to do this, check with Racetorations in
the UK,
http://www.racetorations.co.uk/
or the ads in Hemmings Motor News.
There might also be something in the Monster List.
http://www.team.net/sol/britpart.html
or you could contact Ken Gillanders at British Frame and Engine, (626)
443-0939, BFEKENG@aol.com

It would probably be best to locate the kit first, as there will likely be
some considerations as to manifolds, oil pan, etc. that may influence your
choice of engine.

Randall