re:Administration: William Hofmann

To: "Administration: William Hofmann" <bill@flextrim.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re:Administration: William Hofmann
From: Anthony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 09:43:28 -0400
Well, the you might expect:

1)  Great expense to buy them
2)  Great expense to mount them and get the linkages working properly
3)  GREAT GREAT expense to tune them properly

Since most people run out of $$ somewhere during #2 or the beginning of #3
the system never does get properly tuned.  So gas mileage is crappy, and one or
more of the following is true:  Idle stinks (most easily fixed), low-part
throttle
stinks, mid-part throttle stinks, high-part throttle stinks, full throttle
stinks,
transition stinks.  There are so many variables with varying interaction,
I think it is truely impossible to get it all "right".

You will end up with quite an inventory of spare jets, tubes and whatnot, at
no small cost.

You will then live with it since it was better than badly worn out Strombergs,
and
they look cool, or you will remove them, sell them at 1/10 the cost of purchase,
and go to something like SUs.

If you plan on racing where the throttle is in one of 2 positions
(wide-open or closed), then Webers are more manageable and useful.

Needless to say, I am in the process of removing a set of webers from a
TR7.  (DGV not DCOE)