Re: TR Generator- did it again

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR Generator- did it again
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 23:59:30 EDT
Michael,
I believe you installed a rebuilt generator recently so thinking it might be
your voltage regulator that's on the quirk. It may help to remove the Voltage
Regulator 'cover' and carefully clean the contact points inside (located
above the two magnetic coils). If the electrical contacts are dirty it might
be causing the 'sticking' issue you pointed out. (make sure all wiring
conections good/clean as well) I found these Lucas regulators pretty rugged
and last a long time.
Voltage Regulator purpose: When the generator revvs are very slow, it
underperforms the battery's 12 volt level - and current flow reverses
switching the generator into an electric motor! You don't want that to happen
so the voltage regulator 'cuts out' the circuit at these 'low-revving' times
- then your electrical draw is purely off the battery making your ammeter dip
into the negative range - especially dramatic when you have your 'high-draw'
headlights lights and running lights turned on.
The other circuit in the voltage regulator bleeds off excessive charging (max
13 volts allowed) from a high revving generator, and, when the battery is
charged up.
If cleaning contacts and double-checking wire connections has no effect - may
be time for voltage regulator re-adjustment with a volt-meter (see your
factory specs) or a new regulator.
Good Luck
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

From: "Michael Gajic" <michaelgajic@hotmail.com>
Subject: Generator- did it again

Hi everyone,

My discharging issues continued last night. I let the revs drop a bit too
low when taking off from rest and the ammeter again showed a strong
discharge (i.e. -30 and red light on strongly) and reving made no
difference. It continued for a few minutes and gradually decreased until it
got to about -10 and stayed there (red light still on strongly). Reving
again made absoultuely no difference.

After a little while the ammeter needle suddenly jumped to +20 ish and the
ammeter showed a good charge until I got home (light went out). When the
needle jumped revs were at about 2500 rpm.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Michael Gajic
63' TR4 CT23641 O <<