[Fwd: Ballast resistor voltage drop - THanks]

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fwd: Ballast resistor voltage drop - THanks]
From: aribert <aribert@c3net.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 06:21:26 -0400
Hot Damn, after 3 years I finally was able to ask a question that
created discussion and controversy.

Seriously, I would like to thank everyone for replying to my question.
With respect to reduced voltage verses full voltage as suggested by
some, I think that I will split the difference and do as one suggested
and install the 0.8 ohm ballast resistor and check that my output
voltage is in the range that Crane specifies.

I was interested if there was any other possible voltage drop/drain that
had not thought of.  In respect to running full voltage into the module,
have been told that it will overheat the transistor that does the
switching. I know from expen$ive personal experience that if the
ignition is left on for more that 5 minutes there is a good chance that
the XR-700 module will be fried (apparently the same transistor does not
like voltage without cycling and also overheats - at least this is how
Crane's techs mentioned it to me).  Are any of you that are running the
module on full voltage spending a lot of time in stop (and rarely go)
traffic?  Crane tells me that the transistor is near its thermal limit
at extended idling because it cycles too slowly  and also that the
XR-3000 does not have this problem. All I know for certain is that a few
years ago I left the ignition on over night and the unit was fried and
last summer I left the ignition on for 5 or 6 minutes and also fried a
module.  The DPO/OO of my first LBC (78 Spit) installed the Allison
(XR-700 prior to Crane's purchase)ignition and I never had an issue with
it and I am certain that I left the ignition on (engine not running) for
extended periods of time as I worked to debug the car.