swaybars source & suspension tuning te.net>

Subject: swaybars source & suspension tuning te.net>
From: Jeffrey Barteet <barteet@barteet.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:06:57 -0700 (PDT)
Hi, Folks,

I got my Addco swaybar from www.swaybars.com.  The TR4 unit costs $130,
which was the least expensive source I found.

Brian, you are correct, Addco does not sell direct.

I was shipped the complete kit with urethane bushings and
instructions. Bolted on in about 30 minutes with some drilling, and YES,
it transformed the way the car handled.

I put Konis on the front of my car, but in all honesty, I didn't really
notice a difference between them and the original 38-year old Armstrong
shocks I took off. I cranked the Konis to maximum stun.

BEFORE I got the car running and all set up, I thought I wanted the comp
springs.  I can't imagine making the car ride any harder now.  It will
knock fillings loose as it is.

I did one last thing to the front end which made a notable difference as
to the car's cornering.  I shortened the upper A-arms a tiny bit to
introduce some negative camber to the front wheels. The result was the
front end seems to 'bite' much more going into a corner. I don't notice
any understeer at all.  With the throttle, I can introduce quite a bit of
oversteer.  :^)

In back, I fiddled with a few things too.  I found an article on the web
whereby you can put some little brass shims underneath the springs in the
damper valves on the lever shocks to increase the damping rate. Then I
replaced the stock damper fluid with Harley Davidson damper oil. It was a
bit firmer, but not too hard. Just right. I also installed some lowering
blocks which I fabricated from 1"x2" aluminum bar stock. I bored a 5/8"
hole in their center, and pressed a 5/8" pin halfway through which keeps
the block from slipping against the spring or the axle. I got a set of
longer U-bolts from a supplier also found on the web.

The lowering blocks are on the verge of stupid. While I much prefer how
the car looks, if I take a passenger who weighs over 200lbs. with me, the
car can barely make it over speed bumps and up driveways. However, when
it's just me, it's perfect.

Exectutive summary: My advice would be to get the swaybar before anything
else. Save you money on the Konis unless you're racing, consider firming
up the lever shocks ( It's only about $5 in materials ), and forget
comp. springs unless you're road racing or a glutton for punishment.

-jeffrey