RE: [Fwd: Re: ballast resister voltage drop - electrical guru needed]

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [Fwd: Re: ballast resister voltage drop - electrical guru needed]
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 12:46:00 -0700
George Richardson wrote :
>  Someone else felt he needed to attack me for it.

George :

I am not attacking you personally.

Your opinion appears to be that, because you once saw a circuit that needed
5 volts, the Crane manual is wrong and the Crane module must be wired
directly to 12v.  Ok, fine, you're entitled to your opinion.

My opinion is that the Crane manual is correct, and that your logic in
asserting otherwise is fallacious, and that the voltage across the coil is
almost never 4.714 volts, and ...  But, it won't hurt to wire the Crane
module directly to 12v ...

It's also my opinion that ignoring Crane's instructions as to the ballast
resistor value used with a low resistance aftermarket coil is likely to lead
to overheating of the output transistor and subsequent early failure.  But
YMMV.

Randall