Re: Pricing question, hello

To: "Daniel Salive" <trek1701@mnsi.net>, "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pricing question, hello
From: "Martin Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 17:33:45 -0400
Daniel:

Couple of  considerations.

Spitfires are great little cars, but you may prefer to find one that is not
younger than a '74, because after about that year, the cars get bogged down
w/pollution control, and acquire some cosmetic changes you may not like.
>From the sound of it, I think you're in the right price range on this car,
though the owner may not want to go lower than $500.  Not all Spitfire
engines are dirty -- actually, I think the opposite is true, because there
is such good engine bay access, it's easy to keep them clean.

If I were buying a Spitfire again, I'd get either a Mark 1 or 2 that had
been adequately restored, or a 72-74 model ... just my preference.  But you
should  consider buying the best car you can afford, because it doesn't cost
much more to restore a TR6, for example, than it does a Spitfire, but the
market resale price of Spitfires doesn't usually exceed $5-thousand.   And
you can spend $5K restoring a car in a heartbeat.

===
Martin Secrest
73 GT6 (driver)
72 TR6 (weekender)
Arlington, VA

"I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity."  - George W. Bush

> I've decided that I want to own a Spitfire.  I've located one, and I'd
like to
> know roughly what it's worth.
>
> It's a 1978-1980 (owner isn't sure, and can't find the title right now)
1500.