Re: TR6 Carbs

To: <HCrown280zx@cs.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Carbs
From: "Martin Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 15:41:44 -0400
Herb:

Sounds like your carbs are way out balance, for starters ... meaning that
the throttle plates are not correctly set.  But this may not be your only
tuning problem, and if your car hasn't been "gone over" in a while, you
might want to start back at square one for best results.  My LBC shop
(Motorhead in VA) suggests the following routine, with which I resolutely
agree:

1)  Compression check.  If your readings are high and even, do a...
2)  Check for air leaks.  (Spray carb cleaner on the carb bodies, especially
at the manifold gasket, hoping for no increase in engine rpm.)
3)  Valve adjustment.  12 settings and a new gasket before you consider the
..
4)  Ignition.  Replace 6 plugs, 1 rotor, points, condensor, wires, check
timing and dizzy advances, and then do the ...
5)  Carbs.  Clean and adjust.

If you want to skip all of the above, and go straight to the carbs (which in
this case may be warranted), there's a good article on adjusting them in the
maintenance section of http://www.vtr.org

Good luck ...

===
Martin Secrest
73 GT6 (driver)
72 TR6 (weekender)
Arlington, VA

"It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."  -
George W. Bush

> My TR6 only runs when I have the choke pulled out 3/4 of the way.  When I
put
> my hand over the front carb, i have a lot of suction.  The back carb
hardly
> pulls my hand at all, and when I cover it, the engine has no change in
RPM's.