RE: Hydraulics

To: "'Joe Curry'" <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: RE: Hydraulics
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 16:47:57 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Actually Joe, you are correct in that compressible matter such as gases do
heat up as they are compressed. The key word is compressible; in hydraulics,
fluids are considered to be basically incompressible. Absolutely they do
expand with heat, it is just that the heating is not primarily due to
compression. The amount of force necessary to compress a true fluid like
water or oil at room temperature is huge. It is most unlikely that such
force could ever be brought to bear in a simple mechanical system.

Again a very old story. Back in the 50s my father was working in a lab that
was doing experiments in ultra-high pressures. Well UH for the time.
Basically what they would do is make a very thick steel pipe with a fine
thread all the way down to a closed bottom. Then they put a bit of fluid in
the bottom and wound a big bolt in the top. Once the bolt contacted the
fulid, they would twist it but good. When nice and tight they could get up
to a pressure of 30,000 tons per square inch in the water. All the pressure
was caused by deformation of the steel, the water didn't give a bit. (well
very very little)

One day they left the system under pressure and went home. That night the
material fatigued and the pipe broke. The resulting expansion/explosion
(whatever) of the bits of metal blew out 3 floors of the lab. It was a
miracle that it happened at night when nobody was there.

A few months later an american firm approached the British and asked them to
perform the same experiment at 50,000 tons. The staff resigned en masse.

Mark Hooper