TR3 spring removal

To: richard triplett <rtriplett25@yahoo.com>
Subject: TR3 spring removal
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 11:05:40 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by richard triplett
>Currently, I've got the hub and caliper mounting plate
off and am working on getting the verticle link w/
ball joint out. I am also freeing up the bolts that
hold the lower wishbone to the spring pan. Will the
spring release its stored energy during this time? At
which point will the spring eventually let go?
<

Be very carefull.  Don't put your fingers or legs in harm's
way.  If you remove the spring pan bolts the spring will
no longer be restrained and may pop out violently.  You
probably can remove the spring this way, I've done it on
a TR6, but removing the last nuts can be trecherous - not
only to your person but to the threads on the studs on the
lower control arms.  A couple of C-clamps can help here.
If you can't wait for the spring compressor (which you will
need for reassembly) buy a couple of C-clamps, 4 - 5
inchers, minimum.

Good luck and take care.

Dave