Re: TR3 V8 conversion

To: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: Re: TR3 V8 conversion
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 12:30:36 -0400
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "John Macartney"
>With due respect to Dan and other submissions on this thread to one
side, surely a conversion of this sort would be of the greatest
interest to the company currently / likely to be insuring this car?
To the insurer, installing a V8 will mean only one thing - greater
power, acceleration, higher top speed and all of it a lot sooner -
with the assumption such features will be used to the full?
Why would anyone want to install a V8 if it wasn't to 'better' the
car's performance?
<

With all due respects to Mr Macartney, insurance companies set their rates
based on demographics.  Technical issues do not enter into the equation
primarily because they do not understand technical things.  The fact that
the folks most attracted to the V8 powered vehicles are the same folks they
are least interested in including in their coverage pool is the main
motivator for the increase in rates.  We, as a group, represent a much
lower risk (risque?) as we care more for our vehicles than does the general
public.

Cheers and take care overtaking.

Dave Massey