Re: who should I send my instruments to?

To: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: who should I send my instruments to?
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 09:59:06 -0700
Randall Young wrote:

> I've never dealt with a gauge rebuilder, but it seems to me that anyone
> that knows anything about Smith's instruments would know the calibration
> number is printed right on the face of the speedo.  Using any other
> calibration (eg to compensate for modern tires) will result in the
> odometer and trip meter being off ... unless the rebuilder actually has
> the parts to recalibrate the entire head.

That would clearly qualify me as someone who doesn't know anything
about Smith's instruments....  ;-)  As it happens, my odometer and
trip meter are also off -- despite un-modern XZX's -- so I guess my DPO's
rebuild was a lose-lose project. But the glass is really nice and clean.

After a couple more fund-raising dinners, I plan to buy alloys and nice
sticky tires -- and either find a terribly clever rebuilder or just continue
to live with it.

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO