TR3-4 Front Suspension Rebuild - another question

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3-4 Front Suspension Rebuild - another question
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 19:36:29 -0500
Listers,

I was looking at the bronze trunnion from my dismantled LH front
suspension.  The old trunnion is a "Brit Part" and looks to be in
very good shape except for the shaft which is all rusted and
pitted.  The new "Taiwan" trunnion casting and shaft from TRF is
not up to the same quality level.  There are some machined cuts
on it that are unfinished and I will have to grind away some
flash to keep the oil seal from being torn up.  There is also
some misalignment of the drillings... the center hole is off
center a little....  so that when the ends are cut on either
side... it makes a incomplete ridge for the oil seal.  This
condition exits on the new LH and RH trunnion.... as well.

Don't get me wrong... I am glad that TRF has these replacements.
If mine were toast, I would gladly use them.  But I was wondering
if there is a source for new Trunnion shafts.  I have a press and
already pushed out the old rusty shaft.  The TR parts catalog
does not show a part number for the shafts alone.  If I can't get
new shafts... I am almost of a mind to swap the new shafts into
the old bronze body.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance...  any and all advice will be appreciated

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4  CT16260L soon to be "O" - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn
E-Mail: sanborn@net1plus.com