Radiator inquiry.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net, autojumble@autox.team.net, vtr@autox.team.net
Subject: Radiator inquiry.
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 22:56:26 -0700
Every once in a while, there are questions about replacement radiators,
and sometimes, less frequently, complaints about Asian-made repros.

I have recently run into two or three sources for heavy-duty radiators,
and a couple of the sources, though they specialize in heavy-equipment
diesel replacement items, seem to have plans and prints for a surprising
number of aftermarket car radiators and cores.

The remaining source specializes in their own proprietary design with
replaceable tubes. (!) A very slick arrangement, and my company is now
field-testing them. The fins are attached to the tubes, and the tube is
socketed into the header with silicone seals, which seem to work quite
well.

My question to the general assembled readership is one of need and the
costs one would be willing to pay for high-quality US-made repro
radiators and/or cores. I don't intend to make a lot of money on this,
but the general interest would have to cover the costs of making and
providing CAD drawings of the original radiators for reproduction, if
such detail prints are not on hand, and the up-front tooling fees for
custom work, as required.

I've run into a shortage of GT6 radiators, for example. Good
replacements would be of value to me, and, I imagine, to others. How
many others, I don't know. Same with TR2, 3, 4 items, I would guess. If
you're interested, let me know, and I'll create a database of interested
people and radiator models, and, of course, if any of you have a truly
dead, unrepairable OEM radiator you'd like to see knocked off, I'll pay
shipping charges (cheapest way) so I can disassemble it and make CAD
part and assembly prints from the original.

Cheers, all.

--

Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM